Incorporated in 1886, Coraopolis comprises an area of 1.36 sq. miles and lies along the Ohio River, about 15 miles Northwest of Pittsburgh. Coraopolis has a population of about 6500 and its main corridor is route 51. Nearly 300 businesses are located in Coraopolis.
At one time Coraopolis had two other names, Middletown and FortVance. Vance’s Fort was located in the area of Broadway and Chestnut Street near Second Avenue. It is no longer there. The name Coraopolis became official on June 7th 1886.
In 1892 Pittsburgh, NevilleIsland and Coraopolis Railway Company was established in Coraopolis for electric street railways. A picture of one of the cars is shown to your right.
Coraopolis continued to grow and many industries were constructed in the town. Like other heavy industrial towns Coraopolis saw the steel industry decline and the businesses close and move.
Coraopolis continues to move forward in the 21st Century. The business district is growing and Council encourages business to locate in its “Village” like atmosphere.
Coraopolis maintains its own Police Department, Water Authority, Public Works, Library, and Volunteer Fire Department to make Coraopolis a Safe Walkable Community. Space allows only a thumbnail sketch of the history of Coraopolis. However, more historical events of Coraopolis can be found in the Coraopolis Library and in the book “The Centennial History of the Borough of Coraopolis, PA 1886-1986”.